Derelict Junction

Providing missile launch codes for foreign cryptographers everywhere.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Life is Worth Living!

Something happened a couple weeks ago that has once again restored my faith and hope in this world. What could that be? No doubt the world is currently in a horrible time of crisis; between worst-case scenario election results, the worsening direction of the country, the military pounding of an ancient city into rubble without a care for innocent civilians, while deranged madmen plot even worse events, and through a constant monotone of depression, what could possibly warm my cockles and fill me with the innocent giggles of a schoolboy? Seeing a newborn bird take flight? Witnessing a breathtaking sunset? Watching a butterfly land on a retarded boy's nose, making him feel special and alive (Stolen from Dave Attell, pick up his CD!)?

Nope.

In a post-game interview, University of Pittsburgh quarterback, Tyler Palko said, on the air, "I'm just so proud of our fucking football team." -Gives me goosebumps even thinking of it. Whenever I hear the F-Bomb dropped on network television, I know it's going to be a good day. And it hasn't happened in a while. I missed Bono saying, "Fucking brilliant" at some award ceremony, but I wouldn't have seen it anyway, since I live on the West coast and they would have had time to edit it out. Bastards! That's one of the things I do miss about the East coast, actual live television. So sports is the only chance I have for experience this flub.

When it happens, all I can think of is the cultural shock-waves it sends out across the country. -The midwestern grandmothers falling out of their recliners with disgust. -The screaming parents, and their wide-eyed, laughing-themselves-silly children. I get great joy from something so innocuous that offends people to their very core. -A threat to their existence and their fragile way of life.

The last time I saw this event was after the Pittsburgh Steelers (whaddup, Pittsburgh? I love you all!) won the AFC Championship (thank you again, sports!). In the locker room when the trophy was presented to one of the defensive backs (possibly Chad Brown), he held it above his head and proclaimed, "We're all happy about this, but this team's not going to be satisfied until we win the fucking Super Bowl!!!" After which, Bob Costas said what was probably the funniest thing he's ever uttered, saying "Chad Brown [forgive me Chad if I'm getting this wrong] obviously unfamiliar with the concept of live television."

For all my glee, what happened after Palko's remarks just proves how serious a threat that word is to both the financial well-being of the network, and the viewers' sensibilities. Immediately after, announcer Tom Hammons apologizes profusely for the young man's language. An obvious plea to avoid the wrath (in the form of fines) of FCC Commissioner, Michael Powell, who's been very busy ever since that purely intentional Janet Jackson "Malfunction" at the Super Bowl. After their game wrap-up, Hammons came back again and apologized!

I love it and hope it happens again.

|

3

At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Wellness said...

Thanks for your great blog that will help me add knowledge to my own site on Personal Development. Keep up the good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Motivation said...

Thanks for your great blog that will help me add knowledge to my own site on Wellness Intelligence. Keep up the good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Self-Talk said...

I was just surfing the net and came across your blog. Great work! This will help me perfect my personal development software that you are welcome to test drive at http://www.wellnessmaster.com. Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home